Translate

Saturday 21 November 2020

Offer and counteroffer

 Someone candidly and intelligently wrote to me:

“I can make others more like me by being a living example. I can raise my children to live by those values. When I die, in all likelihood my atoms will continue on as part of of the cosmos from whence they came. I can’t guarantee anything to anyone, nor can you. The issue with Christians such as yourself is that you constantly put the responsibility for yourself on others. Everyone has to take personal responsibility for themselves and their actions. I’m by no means rich and have tasted destitution in my life. You also know nothing of the suffering I’ve endured in my life and are in no place to be speaking about me “succumbing”. Big words from a man who can’t live without an imaginary big brother protecting him.”

— an atheist in LinkedIn (discussion on Atheist Republic 21 Nov 2020, quoted anonymously with permission) 

My answer:

“Well Jesus does provide a constant ongoing provision for others to have ongoing righteousness because He does not die and He is proven long term.”

Jesus is. That you gotta believe - if you don’t want to die in sin, He said. He existed before Abraham was born (c1800 BC) and lives forevermore having been raised from the dead. So no issue about death. That is one better than your offer. Then He knows God and what counts as righteousness to God. And He is appointed the judge so He knows the basis on which each of us will be judged as to whether we really have been living right. That is another better point of offer. There is a lot more in John 8. It is where that famous phrase comes from “the truth will set you free”. If you do wrong you are a slave to wrongdoing. I know that from experience. Truth that sets free is truth given by Jesus. The Holy Spirit makes it real. So not just a good example. A good example won’t liberate an alcoholic. Truth from Jesus liberates from wrongdoings. That is another better offer. It goes on. You have to hold to His teachings to get this once you believe.That’s the deal. 

I know folk find it hard to believe this Jesus, brought into flesh life by virgin birth having previously lived aeons with the Father in heaven, rose from the dead and will live forever and can deal with sinners’ sins but I pray He’ll back it up with signs from heaven.