Translate

Saturday 8 January 2022

A sanity check for Christians considering a career in Science

 “The heavens declare the glory of God;

the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Day after day they pour forth speech;

night after night they reveal knowledge.

They have no speech, they use no words;

no sound is heard from them.

Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,

their words to the ends of the world.

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.

It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,

like a champion rejoicing to run his course.

It rises at one end of the heavens

and makes its circuit to the other;

nothing is deprived of its warmth.”

— Psalm 19

I tried studying science at university because of this passage and other such sentiments. Like many, I had hoped that by finding out more about Nature, I would feel more wonder at the glory of its creator and understand the ways of God. One year into my degree and it was clear the atheism of the lecturers had no such sentiment nor would they ever give glory to God or recognise the wonder of what they were trying to understand and teach. They only loved the money they might raise to do more experimentation. All I would learn from Science would be the cunningness of alchemy. So sad. I nearly quit but peer pressure made me continue and complete my degree. I later took a scientific lab job but again there was no love of finding out the knowledge within Nature and glorifying God, only substantiating feedback to funders to keep the lab open. Then they closed anyway and tried to get me a job in another lab, but it was not possible, I was told by the other lab, to continue that career path without experimenting on live animals. I quit. Years later I realised how much ancient sorcery practices still take central place in sciences and drive the agenda. Sad. Jesus warns of this in Revelation.