Translate

Saturday 18 March 2023

A little about my career in information technology

 A little about my career in information technology and software development with a religious and governmental twist. I loved programming as a child. I had a programmable calculator in the seventies. I studied some programming in FORTRAN at university as part of a science degree. Years later I was processing invoices for local government and an end user of software on mainframes but when my hobbyist programming skills were discovered they moved me into mainframe programming. In those days they recruited promising office workers to mainframe work because the idea was with third gen languages, anyone intelligent with aptitude could learn the programming in a week. I kept my vision and knowledge of invoice processing and it proved useful, not just to my bosses but to many countries after a miracle of feeding many with a few loaves and fishes. I consider one duty of public servants is to be efficient and make savings and profitable outcomes. XML allowed invoice processing to be done faster for lower cost. So I offered my knowledge like offering the Lord a few fish and loaves. Ten years later I had helped produce UBL, ISO 19845, an XML way to send an invoice electronically, plus orders, etc.. Hundreds of billions are being saved implementing it around the world.