Translate

Saturday 12 March 2016

Creation

I was a teenager when I heard the whisper perhaps the first time. And the miracle came with it. I was playing chess at my friend's house and as we played chess we discissed scientific theories like evolution and relativity. I had wanted to believe still in Genesis in the Bible and we were considering the challenge posed by light coming from stars over thousands of light years away and the age of the Universe it implied and evolution of life as an idea and what it might mean about the age of the Earth. Could we still have faith in scriptures like Genesis and the belief that God is the Creator of all things and inspirer of Genesis scripture about it? As we played we did the usual tradition to choose who would play white and start the game with the first move. One time doing this it came to me: The whisper. The tradition is to take a black and white pawn chess piece and with your hands behind your back to mix them around a lot (so perhaps you forget which piece is black and which is white) then put one piece behind your back in one hand and the other in the other hand and put your tightly closed hands in front of you wothout showing the pieces so the other player can choose a hand. If they choose the hand with the white piece they play as white and start with the first move having a slight advantage in the chess game. As my friend and fellow follower of Christ did this he did not know a whisper inside my mind told me to choose the hand that looked most white to me. I did and it was with the white pawn. I remember we did it again (perhaps at my suggestion) and it worked again. Again and again it always worked. I remember about thirty times we did this and every time I chose white. Then we both stopped out of fear to carry on. It shows me God can control chance and determine outcomes. Therefore creation is well within His capability.