Translate

Sunday 6 November 2016

The Term 'Trinity'

Trinity is a historic problem where a word was introduced by the Latin Father Tertullian and the Roman Empire Church's leaders such as Constantine to describe The Father and The Son and The Holy Spirit because there was no word in scripture except 'divinity'. I think it got rather overloaded with meaning not found in scripture except in a few scripture verses that get overloaded to fit with the new word Trinity. In my view it was not a word in scripture by intention because of the truth scripture describes. When the new word was coined it should never have started to carry any new meaning but it did start to get its own meaning as people defended its introduction. We were better off without it because the side effects have detracted from the unique divinity Jesus ascribes to The Father who Jesus identified to His disciples as 'My God and your God, My Father and your Father'. God has not put the term 'God the Son' in the mouths and pen of the first Apostles of Jesus Christ. The phrase they have written regarding Jesus is NOT ever 'God the Son' but instead 'The Son of God' making the Father 'God'. Any spirit denying this they called 'antichrist'. The status ascribed formally to Jesus is 'Lord and Christ' distinct from 'The God' reserved only for God The Father. This is where conscience requires me to keep alternative teachings at arms length. I would say of Jesus informally 'My Lord and My God' but that is like saying 'My Hero' to acknowledge His provision of the divinity and divine authority I need in my life. I no longer let myself refer to 'God the Son' because it is a formal doctrine which scripture does not support (unless forced to).