Translate

Saturday 30 January 2016

Literal Miracles

My grandparents were Pentecostal missionaries living soon after the revivals when people like Wigglesworth were working miracles everywhere in Wales and England and similar things were happening in USA in the 20s last century. They went to work most of their lives as missionaries in Nigeria. They came back to the UK a couple of times as I grew up telling of all the miracles that accompanied their work there. Yes. But I went on to study at UCL in London - an Atheist college (so they told us - traditionally as per Jeremy Bentham's philosophies). So I was bombarded by atheistic biology as I studied biochemistry there. But I attended a church with a great preacher who taught clearly from the gospels (Dr R T Kendall) and one day he preached a great long sermon on Jesus' teaching 'Say to this mountain "move" without doubting and God will move it for you because of that faith'. I did what Jesus said the first time then and it was just like He said. I told an excruciating burn to "Go" so I could concentrate on the sermon. The pain went immediately and I fended off doubtful thoughts from atheists and unbelievers 'oh it is just in your mind - the pain will come back' as enlightened westerners love to say. I had my eyes shut concentrating and believing as RT preached on such faith. After the sermon there was still no pain as I had struggled to keep believing. I looked down to the finger I had burnt badly on a toaster that morning. The nasty burn blister which was there before the sermon had vanished completely and of course the pain never came back. Like a faithful steward I went on to do greater things. Very great. Jesus even met me once and did the same as I had been doing to affirm this faith (I must add I never saw Him physically but He proved it was Him) but did it better with kindness triumphing over judgment. Like He does. Like God the Father is, who lovingly does it all in response to our faith (to Jesus' faith even - this same Jesus who was crucified and lives).