Translate

Monday 3 July 2017

The Identity of Jesus of Nazareth

Look at these words of Jesus to the Jews soon to crucify Him, from John 8,  "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing of Myself. But I speak these things as My Father taught Me. He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him." - it was not clear to me till last week but now it is clear that Jesus was saying that to avoid dying in their sins they needed to believe "I am He" meaning not "I am God" as trinity dogmatists teach but "I am He [the Son of Man]" since in context Jesus had referred to The Son of Man being lifted up (crucified). To paraphrase "when you have lifted up the Son of Man you will then know that I am this Son of Man" - they would crucify Jesus and then realise that actually they had crucified to Lord of Life known to ancient prophets Enoch and Daniel as the Son of Man through whom God had created all things. I confess having been confused by this until recently. I was debating using these verses and trinity dogmatists were saying Jesus was identifying Himself with Jehovah by saying "unless you believe that I AM" and even some translations capitalise the "I AM" to support it. But it is clear Jesus was anonymising the Son of Man by using the third person as He often did to refer to the Son of Man before saying they would come to believe that Jesus is Himself this same Son of Man and they needed to believe this to be saved from their sins. The mystery about Jesus is astounding. I had a friend who I had worked with for over a year or so in online international collaboration where we became friends but one day I met him and had no idea I had been working with the son of a founder of a huge well-known international company and I remember the truth sinking in as I met his father and gradually realised who he was over the course of the day. It was similar to realise who Jesus is and realise there was this being like a human known to prophets like Daniel and Enoch called The Son of Man who was with God before creation and through whom God made everything - the Universe, human beings and all life - and by whose name and authority the trees grow and planets orbit stars. This son of man became flesh and blood and obeyed God His Father as any of us should. The servant nature of Jesus is astounding when you realise who He is: The Lord over all things beside the Creator God.