Translate

Saturday 9 October 2021

Can you recognise the Elect One?

 ‘And thus the LORD commanded the kings and mighty and exalted and those who dwell in the earth, “Open your eyes and lift up your horns if you are able to recognise the Elect One”’ 

— Book of Enoch

Can you? Can you recognise the Elect One? 

‘Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, “It is the Lord,” he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.’

John 21:7

https://biblehub.com/niv/john/21.htm

Here I was watching a historic flooding downpour rainstorm near my local river and I’m thinking of a passage of scripture saying the Lord presides over the flood. I’m thinking of the homes flooded at that time by all this overflowing river water and the rain is coming down harder than ever. I’m walking home along the busy main road. I had been earnestly asking weeks earlier to witness Jesus first hand. Suddenly a voice clear as a bell says “Put down your umbrella!” with overwhelming authority more than any authority I ever heard. I’ve got this huge golfing umbrella up protecting me from this downpour deluge but I am compelled to obey the supremely authoritative voice. As I put down the umbrella without delay the rain stops so instantly that not a drop touches me. It must have looked so remarkable to car drivers going by. In my heart I just know, telling myself, “It is the Lord”. I just know it was Jesus who spoke. So as I walk home I would love confirmation of it. I wait till I go to bed. I lived alone. On a nail on the wall in my sparse bedroom is a dressing gown I never used. I lived alone so why bother. I said to the one who had spoken to me invisibly, that I was sure it is Jesus Himself but just to confirm it, would He make the dressing gown be off that nail by the morning. Then I slept. In the middle of the night in my deep sleep something got into my deepest consciousness and compelled me with great authority and masterfulness like I never knew was possible to wake up and get up. I got up in a flash and immediately grabbed the dressing gown off that nail. As I did so I suddenly remembered that request for confirmation I had made the night before. I knew this is Jesus, alive from the dead and master of my life.