Translate

Sunday 31 October 2021

Church life

 For most people Christian church just means one particular kind of church they knew since childhood. For many it is not a choice. Just like other mainstream religions. But that is just like a clothes hanger from which to hang many different kinds of sermons and teachings and exhortations and rebukes, many of which contribute to light shining in darkness. Even though my childhood and teen year churches, mostly those of my parents’ choice, not mine, were strongly Trinitarian and Calvinistic, I still found God that way. I got a good education of a broad range of truly gospel teachings from the others attending. When I went to university, away from home, in London, a church senior member encouraged me to attend a certain church there. The church focused on Bible preaching. Although the dear preacher was strongly aligned in his emphasis and hermeneutics with Augustine, he still took pains to cover every verse in many scripture books over the years. I realised what the verses meant, enough to seek what they promised. I years later told him I was grateful for his wonderfully comprehensive and faithful coverage of scripture verse by verse, especially in some teachings which helped me have mountain-moving faith, but I told him I wanted to adhere to Jesus more than to Augustine. Eventually I found God, the Father, and His Son and the Holy Spirit, and realised from what they told me that Trinitarianism was flawed. God is the Father. Jesus is the Son. Trinitarianism muddies this clarity. But it was Trinitarians who helped me get to this destination.