Translate

Thursday 25 November 2021

Debugging the Church

I grew up reading the Bible before I was old enough to enter church life. I knew something about Trinitarian doctrine was strangely at odds with what the scriptures taught. I could not find courage to say so and even if I had conviction enough to confront somebody, who was there to confront? I knew from an early age that the teachings of Jesus Christ filled me with trust in Jesus as hope for my soul, knowing that Jesus truly sought to teach what my soul truly needs. I got baptised in my teens. Yet I had to teach and profess Trinitarian doctrines even though I knew scriptures had to be twisted unnaturally to support the Trinitarian view of Jesus Christ. My heart longed for a good teacher. Only God and Jesus could speak with authority to override the dubious teachings which troubled me. I knew the scriptures better after attending the regular sermons of a famous preacher when I was at university. I knew Jesus Christ taught things undermined by modern doctrines. I put my faith in Christ, believing God would make Himself known to me if I obeyed Christ. I knew sin is something Christ said must be eradicated in our lives now if we are to escape the wrathful judgement of God in the future. So I set my heart on following this path and seeking an audience with God. I continued in this hope for years. In my thirties it came to a crunch. Did I have the Holy Spirit? God had done miracles in my life, real ones, but had God given me the Holy Spirit? Was the faith within my heart genuine and blessed by God with the gift of the Holy Spirit? Was I hypocritical when I preached? I prayed and prayed. I sought God. I sought full obedience to Jesus Christ’s teachings such that my conscience could hold up strongly as I implored God to show Himself. He did. He said words that broke the spell of Trinitarian doctrine. God gave me the Holy Spirit to seal this and the living Jesus miraculously backed it up. It took years for those words to do their work, with encouragement from a rare individual who challenged me over my doctrine. I knew that the Father Himself is God, the One True God. Eventually I knew that this is also what Jesus taught. Yet I now needed to debug the Church to try to understand why so many taught the Trinitarian dogma and why over the centuries it had not gone away, despite what scriptures taught. I realised the scriptures had been mistranslated. That was one factor. Yet words God gave me when He was teaching me directly made me realise the Church had been following a sin and was not repenting. I had to get to the bottom of it. I had to investigate what God meant about this sin. Eventually I looked into the history of it. What had started Trinitarianism? What sin was committed that had twisted Church dogma and with such a long term result? I realised it must be a church fathers problem. Eventually I found what seemed to be the beginning of it. A philosopher named Origen had adapted a pagan philosophical concept called hypostasis and had applied it to divinity. The scriptures showed that this was sinful. God’s divinity must not be treated as if it were a substance like gold or silver. Yet Origen had taught that divinity was a hypostasis, a substance. This had been accepted by the Church in the East and the West. It stuck. The application of this philosophical sin then led to Trinitarianism. It all made sense. God could fix my lack of confidence to challenge it. God’s testimony to me had emboldened and empowered me to push ahead and find the bug. Now it is a matter of fixing it.