Translate

Saturday 7 April 2018

What 'Born Again' really means

Besides plenty of teaching from Jesus in John's gospel about being born again where people inheriting lying and murdering tendencies from Satan start instead to inherit ways that come from God - Peter too gives input:

1 Peter 1:3
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"

This seems to me to mean the hope we get from God by His raising of Jesus from the dead - it is direct influence by God on so many lives as the effects of His raising of Jesus touch upon so many lives improving hope. So the sense it is a God-made event means its impact is God-made and the hope it gives us is God-made. So we ourselves become God-made to the extent that it influences and changes us.

For me the witnessing of a miracle opens my eyes to what produced the resurrection and therefore makes me born again by the resurrection becoming real to me. (I had a bad burn on my finger while sitting in church and the pain stopped me concentrating on a sermon about "say to this mountain move and do not doubt and God will make it move" so I commanded the bad painful burn blister "Go!" and the pain instantly went and I kept my eyes shut until the sermon was over then looked and the blister had vanished - healed. So thinking on it I realised it is the power of God in creating and also in raising Jesus His Son from the dead.)