Translate

Tuesday 30 April 2024

My Lord and My God

 Being suddenly face to face with immediate awareness of the Lord Jesus Christ alive from the dead can elicit an involuntary response “My Lord and my God!” Such was the experience of the apostle Thomas, one of the twelve original apostles of Jesus (at this point eleven apostles, since Judas was gone). It comes welling up from within, an emotional and spiritual rush of devotion to the one who is welcome as master (my Lord) and the one around whom your life willingly now will revolve as mediating agency bringing God near to you (my God).  It is sad that this event is used to argue some debated theological positions. Sad because it detracts from the really important truth that the resurrection of Jesus provided his disciples with all they need for life and godliness, leading to eternal life.