Translate

Friday 12 April 2024

Teachings of churches do not match teachings of scriptures

 I have spent fifty five years studying the Bible. I knew a lot of it before I was old enough to attend church sermons (by my father). My mother taught it to me starting when I was three or four. I was taught to read from it before officially learning to read at school. I was given my own copy of the KJV before I was a teen and used to read it every day (as they taught us to do in church and my parents taught me to do - my quiet time). We were poor and I had no study notes so I just read it cover to cover over and over, if I remember correctly. I probably skipped Numbers. In my thirties I showed off to my wife. I challenged her to secretly find any verse anywhere in the Bible and read it to me, and I could tell her at least the book and chapter it was from. In those days in my youth we were taught like this, in home life, then Sunday School, then church and Bible Club meetings and camps. Yes, we were taught special chapters to learn off by heart and lots of key verses, but I was taught to read the whole thing even before getting taught at church. I knew it well before hearing any sermons about Trinity or Oneness. I knew neither were biblical because I knew the Bible quite well before I heard these teachings and I knew what it said about Jesus and God. I was dismayed that teachings of churches did not match teachings of scriptures.