Translate

Saturday 14 September 2024

O for the wings of a dove

 David would have liked to have been a pre-tribulation rapture believer. Psalm 55 expressed his desire well. But he knew it was not how things would go.


My heart is in anguish within me;

the terrors of death have fallen on me.

Fear and trembling have beset me;

horror has overwhelmed me.

I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!

I would fly away and be at rest.

I would flee far away

and stay in the desert; 

I would hurry to my place of shelter,

far from the tempest and storm.”


Instead he bravely pushed on and endured to the end. That is why he is remembered as such a saintly king. That is why Jesus was not ashamed when people called him “Son of David”, even though he is David’s lord. Oh for the wings of a dove, so that we would fly away and be at rest from the tribulations still to come. But we learn from Jesus to say “Yet not my will but Yours be done, Father”.  So he will raise us up on the last day.